Friday, October 28, 2005

Updates: Pakistan

THANK YOU for being so generous with your ideas and desire to help fund shelters to the quake affected areas of Pakistan.

The lastest is that the a donor in Pakistan is exploring how to fund 5000 of these dome homes. However, we suggested that they first install only 2 dome homes to get an idea of whether the communities will accept them.

There is no doubt that the communities will be warm in these homes and that they will be able to use the domes structures for decades to come. However, as serveral of you have pointed out, there is a chance that the domes won't be accepted culturally.

Others of you suggested alternate dome shelter designs that are quite amazing and can be made from local material. We are also exploring how to execute these designs in short time as well.

Lastly, for those of you that want to send funds for relief efforts, I have been brainstorming ways in which you can be more engaged with your own ideas or funds.

For instance, I could spend a week in a cluster of communities assessing what is needed and what could be done with small funds and with the skills I have. I could post these on the blog, and you could tell me how you want your funds spent, and hopefully even provide further ideas.

Also, since some of you have such great community experience in southeast Asia, you could send ideas on how you want the funds to be spent even before I visit the communities. I could then see how much time and skill I have to execute your ideas. ...I'm thinking aloud and open to your thoughts.

I will be leaving for Islamabad by Nov. 15 and will spend a month there. ...My strengths are in connecting with the local flow...listening to individuals/families and actively sharing in their experience--good or bad.

I'm not sure how much "I" will "help", but the point is to experience and learn, go deeper inside on both my end and their end...and if you want, hopefully connect you in the process as well.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Weight Loss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.