Sunday, June 04, 2006

Pakistan: Islamabad, FATA

The purpose in going to Pakistan was to meet my amazing friend and guru Walt (more on Walt Dada later) and to assist in a solar PV training for an upcoming solar water pumping project for the FATA portion of the Northwest Province and the Balochistan areas of Pakistan. (I thought the villages would be in the quake affected areas, but it turns out that the water in the quake areas is too contaminated to use.) The training was held in Islamabad at the National Univer. for Science and Technology. Hence, after the first night in Lahore, I took a bus to Islambad. The students were engineers and barefoot engineers from some remarkable non-profit groups working with remote communities in Pakistan, such as Islamic Relief, Community Mobilization and Development Organization, and Kurram Rural Support Organzation. ...I was so excited to meet the only woman engineer (from Islamic Relief) to attend the class.

The genuine respect I received during the visit...from EVERYONE I met was unmatched from any other place...I miss that special flow that Pakistan nurtures. Here are some photos of the field visits.



Village girls taking a break from carrying water up to their homes.


Elders looking over our shoulders as we inspected the well that needed the solar pump.

1 comment:

Rathish K said...

I am Rathish from Delhi to whom you talked in the afternoon..if you remember.

Dropped to say..

" I envy your job "...So connected to the masses..still to the core technical...tres bein !!!