Saturday, July 16, 2005

In Leh

Yesterday was one of the most exciting days I've had...each of my pores was oozing out with joy. I was so anticipating re-connecting with my Ladakhi family...mainly consisting of the technicians/social workers at the Ladakh Ecological Development Group (LEDeG), random Kashmiri shop keeper, certain kids I' d spent time with, old Buddhist philosopher (the most patriotic Indian i've met to date)...and just the mountains, snowed peaks, ...the daily Islamic calls from the masjid...it's quite amazing when it echoes through the mountains.

...As I've started making an extended family of new friends, i've become more grounded. Yesterday I met Ven. Karma Lekshe...i'm speechless when i hear of the work she's done for remote villages in Zanskar and Ladakh. ...and she just keeps going! We'll be visiting most of nunneries in Zanskar next week. ...hopefully we can get some nice LED solar systems for them next year.

...Ven. Lekshe is teaching a group of anthropologists. It was great to meet all of them. One of them, Hembhai, has been working on Himalayan health issues...it turned he had been to Honupatta, the 15 home village i'd accompanied LEDeG to last time (8hr car ride and 5 hr walk from Leh). I actually had photos of the Hunappata villagers with me and he knew a few of them!

...Also off the plane i made a few Israeli friends. It's been eye opening to hear them articulate the situation in their country...they're 7 years younger than I am. I'm impressed with their thought exercises. ...One of them i'm rooming with for the week--she plays wonderful guitar...that i fall asleep to looking out at the peaks.

...So all in all, it's going to be a nice week in Leh, especially if i'm productive with thinking about the thesis amidst the peacefulness... The ride to Padum and walking thereafter will be rougher.

No comments: