Friday, October 21, 2005

On Fire

The last train ride:

On Fire. Heart thumping. Sweat secreting. One foot flying after the other, as fast as possible. Focus: Follow the red shirt of the Kuli-bhai. Trust him. Trust the rhythms. If not this one, then the next. But not without a fight.

…I did make the train with 3 minutes to spare…whew. Wish I could fight for the Universe with the same focus…as if there were no next moment. Treat every person as if there were no other. The Earth as if it were the only….heartbeats are still so fast.

…Finally, I get to sleep at some point, only to wake up at about 5am to some dream about…I forget it as soon as the usual jolt of 'Oh yeah, I'm still on a train' kicks in. It never fails on the entry back into consciousness from slumber. …Though this time it seemed that I entered another dream:
Down the aisle, there is row of young men with hats on. I slowly remember the group of young Muslim boys in the next compartment as I had ran onto the cabin. They were now doing their first prayer of the day. The smiling adolescents had neatly rolled about cloth on the aisle and formed a comfortable line to pray. After the namaz, they read…their day on the train continues with other prayers and readings. So young and fired towards worship.

No comments: